October 15, 2011

Another 1/2 Marathon!

Joe and I ran our first half marathon together 5 years ago in Chicago on my 26th birthday! We set a goal of doing one every 5 years! So this was the year to do it again. However, about two weeks ago Joe decided he was going to go for the full marathon. I thought this was rather brave because he had not hardly been training at all. But I wouldn't put it past him. He's definitely capable (and a bit overly confident, I must add!). Well........... 6 days before the race when we went on-line to register, he bailed. Just like that. Can you believe it?!! Luckily I had been training with my dear friend Jennifer!!!! So thankful I had a partner for the big day, and a great one at that. I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed doing it alone! After only a few hours of sleep (Micah ended up being up much of the night, for some strange reason. I did not want to let him cry it out for fear of waking Jennifer up!), we got up for the big day. Here we are at 6am getting ready to head downtown...

Joe, his dad, and Wy guy met us at mile 11 to cheer us on and take some pics. It was a very hard and hilly run, but SO much fun! I definitely won't wait 5 years to do another!

Hear I am turning around to say "bye" to Wyatt... he met me for a high 5 then tried to run with me! : )
After Jennifer and I drove the course on Friday night, we both looked at each other and wondered why in the world we just paid $75 to run 13.1mi uphill (yes, the course was about 75% uphill!). The task before us seemed a bit daunting, but we were already in... ready or not! I had originally had 2 goals: to run without stopping and to finish in 2hrs. After driving the course, I decided my new goal was just to cross the FINISH line!! : ) But much to my surprise, we ran strong the whole way and even achieved both goals!!!! Woo Hoo! Here we are coming in for the finish...
Jennifer was the BEST running partner ever. She is an amazing pace setter too! I told her that she should be one of the gals wearing bright green running with the flag in her hand... she's so consistent, uphill or downhill... she stays right on pace (unlike me!).
It was so FUN to have family there to cheer us on. Thanks you guys for making the effort to be there! What a fun day! We are talking about a destination run next time... Maybe Disney?!!!
We got to spend the rest of the weekend with the boys' Grandma and Grandpa McCulley! It was all around a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment