March 11, 2011

Never say NEVER!

I used to say that I'd NEVER drive a minivan. Well......never say never! Sure enough, I am now 30 and driving a minivan. I officially feel older and not so cool anymore! : ) We checked out all of the SUVs, put the carseats in them, attempted to crawl to the back, etc and finally realized that the minivan was the only reasonable option with having 3 kiddos so close in age! We both agreed that the Odyssey was the coolest of vans (an oximoron, I know!) so we set out to find the right color (on the used lots, of course!). We ended up finding the best deal in Manhattan, KS... Home of the KSU Wilcats! So not only did we buy a minivan, but we bought one in my old stomping grounds and also traded in my very first car--a 1993 Honda Accord. It was a sentimental day for me! I remember thinking that Accord was the best car ever the day the keys were put in my hands but I had NO idea I'd still own it when I turned 30 and would be trading it in for a minivan of all things. Funny how life happens that way! That good old '93 Accord sure served Joe and I well through the years with over 200,000 miles and hardly a penny put in to repair. It has allowed us to be debt free (with the exception of a mortgage!) and pay cash for 2 vehicles since. Who knew my '93 Accord would be the gift that just keeps on giving. Thanks Mom and Dad! Hopefully some wise college student snatches it up and drives it another 100,000 miles. My fellas will definitely hear this story again when they turn 16! Ha! So, the minivan has been a hard pill for me to swallow, but I have to admit that it is VERY functional and I'm so grateful we've been able to make the purchase. There's just something about having the doors open with the click of a button, a back up camera, a DVD player to keep my kiddos entertained, and a potty seat in the back that make a mama very HAPPY!!!!! To my boys... when you say "I'll NEVER..." think twice, you just might somewhere down the road... And I promise I won't say I told you so (but I'll definitely be thinking it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment